1. Stay Out of the Penalty Box, You Must
The Carolina Hurricanes have a tendency to take penalties, almost always at the worst times. More than once this season, they have taken a bad penalty at pivotal moments in a game, or even taken penalties during their own powerplay, effectively killing their own man advantage.
More from Cardiac Cane
- 2023 Southeast Rookie Showcase: Takeaways from the Canes’ Strong Showing in Florida
- Week Two Coverage Of College Hockey In NC
- Derek Stepan Ends His On Ice Career As A Hurricane
- The Southeast Rookie Showcase Will Be a Good Look at Carolina’s Future
- Noesen Ready To Provide Depth For Canes
As of right now, the Carolina Hurricanes have the 6th best penalty kill in the league, averaging an even 85%. The Minnesota Wild are currently tied for the 9th best powerplay in the league (with the Carolina Hurricanes, funnily enough), at an even 20%.
The Wild have an effective and efficient powerplay, and if the Carolina Hurricanes take more penalties than necessary, the special teams could prove to be the difference-maker in tonight’s game.
If the Carolina Hurricanes can manage to stay out of the box, they’ll be giving themselves the best possible chance to walk away with yet another 2 points in the standings. Now let’s talk about goaltending, shall we?