The Hurricanes had a stunning 2019 draft class, with a lot of potential players for them in the future. They made some “safe” picks (Suzuki, Rees) some picks with very high upside (Kochetkov, Murray, Puistola, Tieksola) and some picks that have real boom-or-bust potential (Honka, Fensore, Slepets).
More from Cardiac Cane
- 2023 Southeast Rookie Showcase: Takeaways from the Canes’ Strong Showing in Florida
- Week Two Coverage Of College Hockey In NC
- Derek Stepan Ends His On Ice Career As A Hurricane
- The Southeast Rookie Showcase Will Be a Good Look at Carolina’s Future
- Noesen Ready To Provide Depth For Canes
With a prospect group as deep as the Canes’, it allows to take chances on players that teams with shallow pools may not take the risk on. Anttoni Honka is a perfect example of that – he’s a guy the Canes can afford to wait for, and has the chance to be either a real game-changer or a dud.
If nothing else, the Canes made some great potential selections in 2019, and has to give fans a lot of faith in this front-office committee moving forward. They’ve shown a willingness to draft players from all around the world, even if they have question marks around their game; which previous regimes have not done.
All in all, I’m excited for the future of this draft class, and the team in general.