Here is a look back at my Top Ten Favorite Highlights From The 2022-23 season.
Pop some popcorn, call the kids, tune in and turn off!
10) Frankly, you can sit at home and eat plain crackers if you don’t love this. Seth Jarvis is simply fun and this clip is proof enough.
Also clip comes out whenever the “Most Junior Hurricanes Reporter” won’t go down for a nap. Not even the most ardent anti-napping duder can buck the timeless authority of Jarvy when it comes to naps. Fast asleep when moments before it was chaos.
(also, speaking of naps, and those that take them. Check out our Kids Canes articles written for junior readers would want to keep up with the Hurricanes. No embedded links, and fun learning opportunities.)
"@nhl Seth Jarvis, a BIG fan of naps 💤 (🎥: Twitter/Evan_Abramson, SpecNews1RDU) #hockey #SportsTikTok #mood ♬ original sound – NHL"
9) I was at this game, and for some inexplicable reason stayed. Why? I still haven’t reach a conclusion, but I am glad I did. Ranking wise, this is a top five game as far as energy and excitement. Right up there with Game 7 last year against the Rangers. It was just a regular season game that turned into a wild come back.
8) It is very likely, we will be seeing Pyotr Kochetkov on “Top Ten Highlights” for some time here in Carolina. And would anyone argue that? I sure won’t. In facto, you might well see him later on in this one! As it is, this save was absolutely what started the PK buzz this year, and made us all start to take note of Kochetkov. Then you add on his goalie goal for the Chicago Wolves, and the NHL caught on.
7) Paul Statsny has been in the shadows with the Hurricanes all year, but boy did he come to the forefront for this one. Know more for solid spot play, Statsny moved the Hurricanes on to the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with this niffty little high angle shot.
Statsny does not make the highlights often, but he can come through when he needs to!
6) I had just found a Hurricanes hat at an antique store two days before this. It was my first Carolina Hurricanes hat as my favorite is in fact, and will always be a Hartford Whaler’s.
I was way up in the 300’s, per usual, but I let this new lid fly before I really thought about it, figuring someone would fling it further along. What happened I do not know, but I did my duty. You don’t have to thank me for my service, but lift a Cat 5 in my honor.
5) You know where you can be, and what you can be eating if this doesn’t make your Top Five. Pyotr Kochetkov has been the absolute best Hurricanes goalie when it comes to excitement, enjoyment to watch, AND talent. Raanta is great, don’t get me wrong, but PK is just so much fun and great to watch. And he’s not a bad netminder either
4) Stadium Series weekend was great! My favorite part, you can pull my Canes card for this, was the lead up to the game. Fan Fest downtown with the “Most Junior Hurricanes Reporter” was a blast. It’s the little highlights after all.
Then sharing some Cat 5s with the guys from The Storm Cellar and a a beer with the folks at The Surge Cast in the spirit of apology. Since you can’t really get all that on film, here are some highlights to placate.
3) This goal was a scorcher, and if you have followed my articles, you’ll know Jalen Chatfield is my favorite Carolina Hurricane. He plays a steady game, that often goes unnoticed until he blazes one like this. Then we all take a moment, look back and say, “oh yeah, kid can play.”
Highlights unfairly evade Chatfield but this is too good to leave off.
2) What Jordan Martinook did for the Hurricanes in the playoffs was spectacular. That is a post of it’s own. My favorite “Marty Party” was his hat trick.
Martinook does not get much of the credit he deserves, though he is around the puck if he is on the ice. He works in the corners and moves the puck.
1) Welcome back to the count down Seth Jarvis. This was absolutely the very best way to kick off the Stadium Series weekend that was the pinnacle of Carolina Hurricanes Fandom. Jarvis put together a great game when he had been on a scoring drought and needed something good to get him back.