Even with losses, you got to find a few good moments to write about. Also, is it just me or are the Eastern Conference Finals starting to look like Round 1 against the Islanders all over again? Tonight’s game started off with a physical play in the first period and continued throughout.
Moments that sound the siren:
- Not a game moment, but a shoutout to Frederik Andersen for how unstoppable he’s been this series. In the 2022-23 playoffs, he holds a .936 save percentage and in tonight’s game, he’s stopped 16 of 17 shots on goal.
- Even though the Canes have lost so far in this series, the defense has been very strong from both teams. I’d much rather see Carolina having the lead this round, but props to our defensive players for stepping up. I’m proud of them and fans should be too.
- Fans, keep in mind that Carolina is trying. They had trouble scoring, but at least they’ve played with effort.
Moments that go in the penalty box:
- The fact that Panthers fans yelled “Red” during the National Anthem ‘cause that’s Carolina’s thing. Major side eye to that.
- I lost count after two penalties against the Hurricanes in the second period. Like I’ve said before, all they do is give the other team an advantage and when you’re down by two games you don’t want that.
- Why did Rod Brind’Amour choose to pull Andersen when the game was almost over? I’m definitely not a hockey coach, so I don’t know what his reasoning was behind that. As a fan, I feel like it would have made more sense if Andersen was pulled earlier in the third because there could have been a higher chance of Carolina scoring.
It’s never fun to watch your team lose, especially when they’re so close to the Stanley Cup finals. It’s been 17 years since the Canes made it to the Eastern Conference Finals and like other fans, I’m frustrated too despite trying to have a good attitude. I don’t mean to sound like a Negative Nancy, however, that is the reality and I hope that changes. Fingers crossed.