Carolina Hurricanes News
- Yesterday, there were two posts on pending free agents. For Manny Malhotra‘s, click here. For Nathan Gerbe‘s, click here.
- See a day in the life of Carolina Hurricanes’ forward Manny Malhotra. (Hurricanes’ Website)
- Andrew Luistro talks about how the Carolina Hurricanes’ cap situation is a two-year project. (Sunbelt Hockey Journal)
- The Charlotte Checkers could have a different look next season. (Checkers’ Website)
- Mark Jones discusses seven possible options for Kirk Muller‘s replacement as head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes. (Bleacher Report)
I said earlier in the year that John Stevens would be one of my preferred options as the new head coach, if Kirk Muller was to be fired. I still feel that way, but Mark brought up some other interesting options.
It’s already been rumored that Mike Velluci could be an option, but he is coming off his worst year in Plymouth of the OHL, and the hire seems a bit risky considering that he has never been any sort of coach in the NHL. That being said, Peter Karmanos, the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes, is very high on him, so it is a possibility that he could be brought into the organization.
A name Mark brought up that I could really get behind is Jeff Blashill. The 40-year-old head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL could be a great choice for the Carolina Hurricanes. He won the coach of the year in the AHL this past season in just his second year in the league. Blashill has instantly jumped up my list of favorite head coach candidates for the Carolina Hurricanes.
Tags: Carolina Hurricanes