Carolina Hurricanes News
- Yesterday’s blog on the Olympic preview for the Hurricanes’ players can be found here.
- Six reasons why you should see the Charlotte Checkers in Raleigh over the Olympic break (Cardiac Cane)
- The rise of Justin Faulk (Hurricanes’ Website)
- Mark Jones gives previews and predicitions for the Canes’ players at the Olympics (Bleacher Report)
- Jason Shaya gives his 10 thoughts from the Olympics to Mike Murphy (Checkers’ Website)
- Corey Sznajder looks at Manny Malhotra and the third line (Shutdown Line)
My Opinion: I think Corey really hits on the head here. Malhotra is great defensively and even better in the faceoff circle, but can he supply enough offensively to supply the depth the Hurricanes need on the third line? No, unfortunately he is not that at this point of his career.
It’s just that Malhotra is better suited for the fourth line, where all he is expected to do is play defensive hockey, while giving other players a break.
If this was a worse-case scenario, it wouldn’t be awful for Malhotra to be the Canes’ third line center, but if the team wants to make playoffs, GM Jim Rutherford needs to make a deal to find a more reliable third line center.
Tags: Carolina Hurricanes