Carolina Hurricanes News
- Yesterday’s update on the Hurricanes’ prospects in the OHL can be found here. The second part will be posted later today.
- Matt Karash plays the role of Jim Rutherford with the goalie situation and more (Hockey Buzz)
- An in-depth feature on Anton Khudobin (Hurricanes Website)
- A midterm report for the Charlotte Checkers (Checkers Website)
- Cam Ward was a part of some trade rumors yesterday (Cardiac Cane)
My Opinion: Since trading Cam Ward has been a popular option from Canes fans and bloggers throughout the season, I just wanted to give my thoughts on the possibility.
Like I’ve been saying since the start of the season, I don’t believe trading Ward – in season – is the right move. Handing over the reigns to Anton Khudobin and Justin Peters may look smart given their play this season, but I’m not sure either is ready for that responsibility just yet.
Khudobin has looked amazing this season, but he’s only played a shockingly low 30 games in the NHL; Peters, the 27-year-old that’s bounced between the minors and the Hurricanes, has him beat by 47 games. It’s just too small of a sample size to trust Khudobin with the starting role. Peters has had consistency problems that would hold him back from being a starter.
Instead, I believe the Canes should wait until the offseason. It would give the team the time to see if Khudobin could be the starter, while keeping some insurance in net. However, if Rutherford receives an overpayment for Ward that’s too much to pass up during the season, I would understand and agree that he should make the move.