Today is the day. All NHL temas have until 11:59 tonight to make a trade. If they do not, they will have to wait one week before being able to do so once again. Out of all the teams in the NHL, this probably effects the the Carolina Hurricanes the most. The Carolina Hurricanes have pretty big decisions to make in the upcoming hours.
Names like Tuomo Ruutu, Tim Gleason, Justin Peters, Anton Khudobin, Jiri Tlusty, and even Cam Ward have been floating around in trade rumors for weeks. While some players like Tuomo Ruutu and Justin Peters have been very good lately for the Carolina Hurricanes, players like Jiri Tlusty and Tim Gleason have been significantly under performing this season.
With the trade freeze among us, Jim Rutherford and the Carolina Hurricanes front office has big decisions to make. Will the Carolina Hurricanes pull off a last second trade right before the NHL trade freeze starts, or will they be patient?
From what I’ve seen and heard, I think the Carolina Hurricanes will take the patient route, but Jim Rutherford has never been predictable. So, he may pull the trigger on a trade prior to the trade freeze.
Here’s what Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said about the goalie decision:
“We’re certainly not going to hurry any decisions because we found out last year what a shortage of goalies does to a team. We’ll take our time with a decision.”
So there, he indicates that he will be patient, but there’s been reports from The Fourth Period stating the opposite.
“Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford continues to have trade calls for one of his goaltenders, as he’s expected to move either Anton Khudobin or Justin Peters this week. Rutherford indicated that he plans on moving a goalie by the NHL’s holiday roster freeze, with Khudobin or Peters set to move out of town.”
Jim Rutherford also said that Anton Khudobin is the odd one out in terms of goalies. He said himself that Justin Peters and Cam Ward are the goalies right now. The Carolina Hurricanes could trade Khudobin, or they can ask him to go to Charlotte on a conditioning stint with the Checkers. He’d probably be down there for at least a week and a half or two weeks if he agrees to going.
With the clock ticking, the Carolina Hurricanes have decisions to make. Will they be good ones, or will they be bad one? We will just have to wait and see.