Carolina Hurricanes News
- Yesterday’s blog on Andrej Sekera‘s offense can be found here.
- GM Jim Rutherford‘s patience is running thin with how things are going for the Hurricanes (Cardiac Cane)
- The Canes play the Predators tonight. A preview will be posted later this morning.
- The Checkers released Rob Madore from his tryout contract as Mike Murphy is ready to play (Checkers Website)
- Hurricanes prospect Brett Pesce was invited to the U.S. WJC Camp. Chris Peters looks at his chances of making the team (The United State of Hockey)
My Opinion: Eight defensemen were invited to U.S.’s training camp and the team will carry seven, so only one will be cut before the start of the tournament.
However, the defensemen invited are a more mobile, offensive bunch and with Pesce being a defensive-defenseman with size, he stands a good chance of making the team.
One thing that will be going against Pesce is the fact he plays in college. Great players come out of NCAA hockey, but there is less superior competition, which tends to hurt defensemen when they get to international tournaments like the World Junior Championships.
But I’m going to predict that Pesce makes the team, but it will most likely be the last spot and may not see much time in the tournament.
Tags: Carolina Hurricanes