Carolina Hurricanes News
- Yesterday’s blog on Tuomo Ruutu getting back to regular form can be found here.
- Kevin Westgarth will have a phone conversation regarding his hit on Mark Boroweicki during the Senators game (Cardiac Cane)
- Corey Sznajder looks at the game against the Senators by the numbers (Shutdown Line)
- The Canes were ranked 27th in Forbe’s list of most valuable NHL franchises (Forbes)
- Mark Jones explains why the Hurricanes should not trade Jiri Tlusty, Tuomo Ruutu or Time Gleason (Bleacher Report)
My Opinion: Mark definitely has a good point in saying that the players need a longer trial this year. Ruutu has started to look more like himself and Gleason has just returned from injury.
The main player I’m concerned with is Tlusty – he wasn’t injured this summer and last year was his only real impressive year in the NHL. It’s possible the lockout-shortened season was just an aberration for the former Maple Leaf.
However, Mark also makes an interesting point about Rutherford’s past trades. Sometimes he’ll go out of his way to unload a contract and overpay to do so.
He gave decent prospect Mark Alt with Brian Boucher, Zac Dalpe with Jeremy Welsh and retained salary in the Jussi Jokinen deal. If Rutherford wants to trade Tlusty, he should be patient and wait for the right deal. It’s not hurting anyone if he’s on the roster.