Carolina Hurricanes News
- Yesterday’s blog on whether the Canes should add another forward can be found here.
- The Hurricanes signed Manny Malhotra to a one-year/two-way deal yesterday (Cardiac Cane)
- The Canes play the Lightning tonight. A preview will be posted later today.
- Corey Sznajder looks at how the Canes are fighting an uphill battle (Shutdown Line)
- Matt Karash gives his thoughts on the Malhotra signing (Hockey Buzz)
Jeff Skinner and Radek Dvorak were placed on injured reserve yesterday. The moves were made to make room for Manny Malhotra, who was signed yesterday and could play tonight against the Lightning.
Kevin Westgarth missed practice yesterday and is out for at least the next two games. Anton Khudobin is expected to skate next week, the earliest being this weekend. Mike Komisarek filled in on the fourth line at practice, but Malhotra will take that spot in the game. That means it’s likely Komisarek will be a healthy scratch.
Charlotte Checkers Recap
The Checkers won a close game against the Rockford Ice Hogs, 5-3, to improve their record to 5-3-1 last night. Charlotte got off to a three-goal lead with two goals from Victor Rask and another from Chris Terry. The Ice Hogs ended John Muse’s shutout streak of over two games in the second period and went on to score three straight to tie the game.
Aaron Palushaj scored the game-winner in the third before Nicolas Blanchard scored an empty-netter to seal the win. The Checkers next play Saturday against the San Antonio Rampage.