Results Oct. 4: Red Wings, OTL, 3-2 Oct. 6: Flyers, W, 2-1 Oct. 8: Penguins, L, 5-2 Oct. 10: Capital, W 3-2 Oct. 11: Kings, OTL, 2-1 Oct. 13: Coyotes, L, 5-3 Oct. 15: Blackhawks, W, 3-2 Oct. 17: Maple Leafs, W, 3-2 Oct. 19: Islanders, W, 4-3 Oct. 24: Wild, L, 3-1 Oct. 25: Avalanche, L, 4-2 Oct. 28: Penguins, L, 3-1 Record: 4-5-3, Third in Metropolitan. Biggest Games:
The Carolina Hurricanes have finished their schedule in the month of October. Let’s see how they did during the first month of the season:
- Come-from-behind win over Maple Leafs.
- Two wins over Metropolitan Division opponents, Flyers and Islanders.
- Two losses to the Penguins
- Jeff Skinner breaking out, scoring nine points in ten games, before suffering injury.
- Cam Ward and Anton Khudobin both injured within one week. Canes call up Justin Peters and Mike Murphy.
- Nathan Gerbe becoming a depth-scorer eventually moving up to first line.
- First line starts off slow, namely Jiri Tlusty, but start to contribute a little more as the month comes to a close.
Analysis: It’s possible the Hurricanes season could not have gotten off to a worse start. Leading the Red Wings by two at the beginning of the third period, only to lose in overtime could have been a blow to any team, but the Canes rebounded to earn a win in the next contest and string together some wins in the middle of the month.
Beating the defending Stanley Cup champs, the Blackhawks, in come-from-behind fashion surely gave the team some confidence and finally gave them a win against a Western Conference team.
However, the team fell apart when Ward was injured straight after Khudobin, losing three straight to end the month and not gaining a single point. The players need to perform better and score more goals as they were harder to come by at the end of the month.
October was a tough schedule for the Canes. They may not have finished with a winning record, but the team played strong and earned wins it probably shouldn’t have. But the Hurricanes cannot start November like they ended October if they want to be as successful in the next month.