Carolina Hurricanes News
- Yesterday’s story on the Canes’ development camp can be found here
- The Hurricanes signed Elias Lindholm to an entry-level contract (Cardiac Cane)
- Matt Karash evaluates the team as it stands right now (HockeyBuzz)
My Opinion: I agree with Matt that the goaltending has improved and the Canes got the best free agent goalie this summer. The defense has improved, but still isn’t top-notch, but at this point there isn’t that much that can be done. It’s possible changes could be coming to the defense with the Canes pursuing another defenseman.
Along with Matt, the offense is where I start to worry. The top six is still strong, but the bottom six needed to be improved and it simply has not been done yet. The Hurricanes will need to rely on younger players to step up, which may not bode well. Hopefully the Canes add someone to help the bottom six.
- Ilya Kovalchuk signed a four-year deal with SKA Petersburg (ESPN)
- Aleksander Barkov signed his entry-level contract with the Florida Panthers (The Rat Trick)
- The Detroit Red Wings signed Brendan Smith to a two-year deal (Octopus Thrower)
- Josh Bailey signed a five-year/$16.5 million contract with the New York Islanders (USA Today)