Carolina Hurricanes News
- The Hurricanes announced three signings yesterday (Aaron Palushaj) (Mike Murphy) (Michal Jordan)
- Bobby Sanguinetti signed a two-year deal with Atlant of the KHL (KHL Website)
- A Hurricanes notebook which includes updates on Elias Lindholm and addresses rumors including that the “mystery player” is not Jaromir Jagr (Hurricanes’ Website)
- The Charlotte Checkers will move to the West Division in the AHL (Checkers’ Website)
- Corey Sznajder gives his opinion on using advanced statistics to gauge the skill of a player (Shut Down Line)
My Opinion: While this doesn’t deal directly with the Canes, the use of statistics has been a growing debate among hockey journalists.I, for one, am not a huge fan of the advanced statistics. There are times when they are useful and I understand why they are used, but they can also be misleading.
One example is Bobby Sanguinetti. Looking at his advanced statistics from last season, it looked like he had a good season, but watching the Hurricanes’ games, fans would know he had an extremely rough season. So, while the statistics can be helpful, I believe that watching the games and taking notice of players is a better way to tell how much of an impact a player makes.
If you’re interested in why the advanced statistics can be used for good, I definitely recommend reading Corey’s blog.
Tags: Carolina Hurricanes