Carolina Hurricanes News
- Yesterday’s story on the Canes pursuing Jaromir Jagr can be found here
- The Hurricanes re-signed Riley Nash to a two-year contract yesterday (Cardiac Cane)
- Matt Karash gives his believes on GM Jim Rutherford‘s comments made on a radio show yesterday (HockeyBuzz)
My Opinion: The Canes have multiple ways to create cap space. Jeremy Welsh can be sent to the minors without waivers so he does not have to be traded. I agree that the target player is Jagr and we may find this out in the next few days. It’s also unlikely that Jeff Skinner is traded any time soon since there is no free agent that could legitimately replace him on the Canes’ roster.
However, I would not be surprised if a deal included a defenseman. I will explain why in a blog that will be posted later today.
- The New York Islanders re-signed Cal Clutterbuck to a four-year/$11 million deal (Eyes On Isles)
- 2013 first overall pick Nathan MacKinnon signed an entry-level contract with the Colorado Avalanche (CBC)
- The NHL announced Brendan Shanahan, Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer and Fred Shero were inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (nhl.com)
- After signing a seven-year deal with the Columbus Blue Jackets, Nathan Horton will miss 4-6 months after shoulder surgery (Yahoo! Sports)