- NHL teams have until 5 p.m. ET today to qualify restricted free agents. Any RFAs not qualified will enter unrestricted free agency instead. The Hurricanes have not qualified anyone yet.
- All-access video of the Canes’ first-round pick Elias Lindholm (Hurricanes’ Website)
- Matt Karash gives his views of the Hurricanes’ draft (HockeyBuzz)
My Opinion: Matt’s most likely right that Valeri Nichushkin did not impress teams during interviews. It was strange that he fell to 10th after being predicted as a top five draft pick by many mock drafts.
I believe Matt is underestimating the acquisition of Andrej Sekera. He can play in the top four and is worth the second-round pick because a player of Sekera’s ability is likely what that pick could turn into. That being said, I don’t believe the Canes are done on improving the defense this summer.
- The New York Islanders will use their compliance buy-out on Rick Dipietro (NewsDay)
- Keith Ballard was put on waivers by the Vancouver Canucks, but not with the purpose of buying out (The Province)
- The Tampa Bay Lightning re-signed Pierre-Cedric Labrie (Bolts By The Bay)
- The New York Rangers traded Kris Newbury to the Philadelphia Flyers for Danny Syvret (Blue Line Station)
Topics: Carolina Hurricanes