- Yesterday’s story on Andrew Ference can be found here
- Brett Sutter re-signed with the Carolina Hurricanes (Cardiac Cane)
- A profile of Valeri Nichushkin by the Hurricanes’ Website (hurricanes.nhl.com)
- The issue of a “Russian Factor” with Valeri Nichushkin by Matt Karash (HockeyBuzz)
My Opinion: I like that Matt looks at the Russian factor being players signing in the KHL when their contract is up rather than the common issue of Russian players not having the heart and work ethic to play in the NHL.
Russian RFAs signing in the KHL has been a growing issue in the NHL for some years now. Right now the Columbus Blue Jackets and Vezina-winner Sergei Bobrovsky is going through these problems. It maybe shouldn’t deter a team from choosing a Russian-born player in the draft, but it’s definitely something that will cross some team’s minda.
- As of 11 p.m. last night, teams are eligible to put players on waivers with the purpose of using an amnesty clause on them. Currently Flyers’ Ilya Bryzgalov and Danny Briere and Montreal Canadiens’ Tomas Kaberle have all been confirmed to be bought out.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets extended Artem Anisimov (Too Many Men on the Site)
- The St. Louis Blues signed Kevin Shattenkirk to a four-year/$17 million extension (Bleedin Blue)