- Eric Staal does not need surgery for his knee. Full Story
- An evaluation of Jim Rutherford (HockeyBuzz)
World Championships Update
- Justin Faulk and the Americans could not do enough to overcome the underdog Switzerland team, who one 3-0
- Sweden beat rival Finland 3-0 after Loui Eriksson scored two goals.
Bronze Medal Game
- U.S.A. vs Finland, May 19
- Switzerland vs Sweden, May 19
Yesterday’s Playoff Games
- The Detroit Red Wings’ four unanswered goals led to a 4-1 win over the Chicago Blackhawks and a 1-1 series tie. Damien Brunner, Brendan Smith, Johan Franzen and Valtteri Filppula all scored for the Wings. Henrik Zetterberg had two assists. Patrick Kane scored the first goal of the game six minutes into the first period. Jimmy Howard made 20 saves, while Corey Crawford made 30.
- San Jose Sharks’ Logan Couture had to leave the game in the second period due to a leg injury, but came back in overtime to win the game over the Los Angeles Kings. Dan Boyle scored the first goal of the game, which was quickly followed by Tyler Toffoli‘s goal and from there the game was ties until Couture won it. Antti Niemi made 27 saves, while Jonathan Quick made 40. The Kings now lead the series 2-1.
- #4 Boston Bruins vs #6 New York Rangers, 3 ET, NBC, Bruins lead series 1-0
- #1 Pittsburgh Penguins at #7 Ottawa Senators, 7:30 ET, NBC Sports Network, Penguins lead series 2-1