- Yesterday’s story on Jiri Tlusty can be found here
- Eric Staal was injured in Canada’s World Championship game yesterday
- One of the Checkers’s defensemen, Justin Krueger, played for Germany at the Worlds (Checkers Website)
- Patrick Kane, Matt Moulson and Martin St. Louis were announced Lady Byng finalists (NHL.com)
- Raffi Torres was suspended for rest of series against the Kings (NHL.com)
World Championships Quarterfinals Update
- Team USA beat Russia 8-3
- Finland beat Slovakia 4-3
- Canada lost to Sweden in a shootout 3-2
- Switzerland beat Czech Republic 2-1
- Finland vs Sweden, May 18
- Switzerland vs USA, May 18
Yesterday’s Playoff Games
- The Boston Bruins applied pressure throughout overtime, and it finally paid off when Brad Marchand beat New York Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist to win the game 3-2. Marchand and Zdeno Chara had a goal and an assist in the game. Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan scored for the Rangers. Lundqvist made 45 saves in the loss, Tuukka Rask made 33. The Bruins lead the series 1-0.
- It looked like the San Jose Sharks would tie up the series leading by one with less than three minutes left, but the Los Angeles Kings scored two goals in 22 seconds to take the lead and win the game 4-3. Trevor Lewis scored the game-winner, while Patrick Marleau scored his fifth of the playoffs. Kings lead the series 2-0.
- #1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs #7 Ottawa Senators, 7:30 pm, NBC Sports Network, Penguins lead series 1-0