Last night the Charlotte Checkers took on the Lake Erie Monsters for the third time of the season, the Monsters improving their series advantage 2 games to the Checkers 1. Despite a goal in the third period sending the game into overtime, the Checkers fell to the Monsters 2-1.
The Monsters were able to get on the board with just under a minute left in the first period and the score would remain that way until around the halfway point when the Checkers caught a break. They found themselves with a 5-on-3 advantage and Zach Boychuk was able to tie the game to keep the Checkers alive.
As the game was sent into overtime, they would only play 1:52 before the Monsters were able to score a power play goal 14 seconds into a slashing penalty on Bellemore. Despite beating the Monsters on the shot clock heavily through the majority of the game, the Checkers still skated away with 1 point.
Tonight they are looking to get even by bouncing back and coming up victorious to tie the series in the last game of the season between them. Justin Peters is expected to be in net for Charlotte after Dan Ellis appeared in last night’s loss.
Face off is at 7:30 pm and can be heard on AHL Live or ESPN 730.
- Goaltenders: Dan Ellis made 23 saves out of the 25 shots he faced last night and fell to 7-7-2 on the season. In goal for the Monsters was Calvin Pickard who improved his record to 8-8-1 by stopping all but one of the 35 shots he faced.
- Shots on Goal: Charlotte 15-12-9-0(35) Lake Erie 6-8-10-1 (25)
- Power Play Opportunities: Charlotte 1/3 Lake Erie 1/4
- Three Stars of the Game:
- Mike Sgarbossa – 1 goal (Lake Erie)
- Calvin Pickard – game-winning goalie (Lake Erie)
- David van der Gulik – 1 goal (Lake Erie)