Last night the Charlotte Checkers took on the Milwaukee Admirals for the second time in three days. Finally they found themselves back in the win column as they defeated the Admirals 3-1 in a confidence boosting victory.
Through the first twenty minutes of play the Checkers moved the puck really well through the offensive zone. The Admirals would score the lone marker of the period off of a lucky bounce from Gabriel Bourque that beat Peters. The Checkers were unable to break the goal line and light the lamp in the first twenty minutes, but were really strong in the defensive zone. While they headed into the second period down by one, they were sporting a whole new look.
To start the second period the Checkers were immediately on the penalty kill after Riley Nash went to the box in the remaining five second in the first. They were able to kill off the penalty and at 9:07 Zac Dalpe received a beautiful cross-ice pass from Drayson Bowman beating Hellberg over the glove, tying the game at 1. Just two minutes later Wallace would beat Hellburg between the legs underneath the blocker side, putting the Checkers up 2-1 for their first lead of the game, Zach Boychuk getting the assist. Through the remaining minutes of the period they put forth the effort they have been needing in their home stand and picked up their defensive play, holding the Admirals off to hold the goal-advantage into the final frame.
Through the next twenty minutes of play the Checkers dominated offensively and remained on top with Justin Faulk adding the insurance goal with a wrist shot past the glove of Magnus Hellberg. Chris Terry and Jeremy Welsch picked up the assists and that would be all she wrote.
The Charlotte Checkers take on the Houston Aeros on Friday for a South Division showdown looking to build on last night’s success. They need to keep things going and go out with the same game plan and mind set as they did last night, essentially boosting their confidence. Face off is at 7:00pm and can be heard on ESPN730 or seen on AHL Live.
- Goaltending: Justin Peters improved to an 8-4-0 record in saving all but one of the 21 shots he faced tonight. He has a current save percentage of .901 and a 2.89 goals against average. Magnus Hellberg is no longer undefeated on the season as he let three shots go by him out of the 33 faced. He now has a 4-1-0 record and holds a .882 save percentage and 3.40 goals against average.
- Shots on Goal: Charlotte: 12-11-10 (33) Milwaukee 9-2-10 (21)
- Power Play Opportunities: Charlotte 0/3 Milwaukee 1/3
- Three Stars of the Game:
- Tim Wallace 1 goal (GWG) (Charlotte)
- Zac Dalpe 1 goal (Charlotte)
- Drayson Bowman 1 assist (Charlotte)