In addition to the recent player contracts, the Carolina Hurricanes have extended and added some hockey operations deals. Here’s the skinny (pun intended):
- Ron Francis has been promoted to Vice President of Hockey Operations.
- Jason Karmanos is now Executive Vice President and Assistant General Manager.
- Rod Brind’Amour will serve as a full-time Assistant Coach in the upcoming season.
- Assistant Coach Dave Lewis and received a contract extension.
- Director of Defensemen Development, Glen Wesley, also received a contract extension.
- Former Hurricane, Cory Stillman, has joined the organization to take over the position of Director of Forwards Development formally held by Rod the Bod.
- Greg Stefan rejoins the Hurricanes as Goalie Coach.
- Tom Barrasso, who served as an assistant coach for the Hurricanes last season, will remain with the team as a pro scout.
- Dave Hunter, who has worked as a part-time amateur scout for Carolina for the past four years, also joins the team as a pro scout.
You may read the official Canes’ press release here. I asked the Twitter world how they felt about the news and here were some responses:
@CardiacCaneFS As long as we have a winning season, I’m ok w/these changes.Glad to see Stillman back w/the Canes, for sure.
— BJ Jean (@CaniacLady17) June 5, 2012
— Jake Jablonski (@JTJablonski) June 5, 2012
@CardiacCaneFS Glad to see Dave Lewis get an extension
— Caniac John (@Caniac_John) June 5, 2012
@CardiacCaneFS in regards to Canes’ changes today, I’m upset I didn’t get named “Canes Tailgate CEO.”. Still waiting for JR’s call….
— G Dav227 (@gedavis227) June 5, 2012
All and all, I would say positive news…nothing to get Caniacs underoos in a bunch. The guys we want are here are still here and I like the addition of Cory Stillman and Greg Stefan. I must also say Mr. Davis is one epic tailgator…definitely deserving of the pre-game CEO title.