Sports and rumors go together like badunkadunks and Kardashians. Caniacs had to endure some pretty intense gossip during the season. Eric Staal was said to be backing his bags and heading up north. Canes were forecasted to lose everyone from Tim Gleason to Tuomo Ruutu. Luckily, all these statements were proved false. The only chatter that became a reality was the firing of coach, Paul Maurice. All and all, I say we faired very well. Although, now Caniacs are dealing with many off-season rumors.
Zach Parise is currently at the top of that list. The current captain of the New Jersey Devils may be a hot free agent commodity and it is no secret Jim Rutherford wants to add a top line player to the roster.
Ryan Suter could also become an unrestricted free agent and has been a player of recent Carolina discussions. Could Nashville’s failed Cup run push Suter toward another southern market team?
There may be some rumors you’ve missed (because I made these up in my crazy caniac brain)…
- John Tortorella is rumored to leave the Rangers and join the Canes just so he can do a long, personable interview with Mike Maniscalco on Canes Corner.
- The Hurricanes are said to stop giving out bobbleheads in place of BBQ sauces which will be named after players. Rumored sauces include: The Original Staal, Sweet Skinner, Extra Spicy Gleason, and Stewart Rather Eat This Bottle Than Pass It To Bulis.
- Brendan Shanahan is shanabanning the phrase, “The Bieber of Hockey” in reference to Jeff Skinner. Man, I wish that was true.
- The Canes are also rumored to “pig roast” fans that bang on the glass during games. It is going to be the new intermission show. Seriously, can we do this one too?
- There is gossip ESPN will not only faithfully cover hockey this season, but they will feature Caniacs as the model tailgaters during an E:60 show.
- There’s talk that Caniacs are going to start tailgating before practices (actually, this one is true). I wonder how many players will say, “Holy Mother, there’s a game today?”
Got any good rumors to share? Post them in the comment section! Until next time Canics…Let’s Go Canes!