Riley Nash was born on this day in Consort, Alberta in 1989. The 23 year old center signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Carolina Hurricanes on July 19, 2010. Although, originally drafted first round by the Edmonton Oilers in 2007, Riley played at Cornell University until being acquired by the Canes.
During his first year in Carolina, he performed in 95 AHL games with the Charlotte Checkers. He claimed 14 goals and 18 assists over 79 regular season contests and 4 points in 16 playoff games. Mr. Nash suffered an injured that kept him to lacing up just 58 times for Charlotte this season. Although, he did snag 8 goals and 12 helpers. He also gained an assist during his 5 games with the Hurricanes.
Here are some things you may not know about the Ginger Nash:
- He won the following awards for the 2006–2007 season with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks: Top Scorer, Rookie of the Year, and BCHL Interior Conference Rookie of the Year.
- The 2007–2008 season with Cornell University was equally fruitful: Hockey Rookie of the Year, Ivy League Hockey Rookie of the Year, ECAC All-Rookie Team, ECAC Rookie of the Year, and College Hockey News All-Rookie Team.
- His Cornell career stats are impressive with 102 points (37g, 65a) and 101 penalty minutes in 102 career games.
- He was teammates with his brother, Brendon, at Cornell.
Time for the epic bogus birthday gifts:
- With a wave of my Cardiac Cane wand, Nasher is now impervious to the sun’s harmful rays. He now has the ability to self adjust his tan with simple eye-blinking. Right eye blinks increase the bronze and left blinks dim it down.
- Dallas Airport is no longer required for the AHL Western Conference travel as I grant him (and the team, if he’ll share) a private jet
- A date with Katy Perry
- Golf clubs blessed by the gods of accuracy and speed
- Most importantly, a long career of health and happiness.
Happy Birthday Mr. Nash! Caniacs thank you for your dedication and look forward to welcoming you back to Carolina this fall.