It may not have always been pretty, but the Carolina Hurricanes produced some great entertainment this season. Here are my top ten moments to date…
10. Straight out of the box, Brandon Sutter scores on a breakaway against Chicago on October 28th.
9. For all the aspiring goalies out there, this is how it is done. Ladies and gentleman, Cam Ward…
8. Skinner’s spin-o-rama goal was pure entertainment on November 21st. He had many pretty tallies this year, but this was probably my favorite.
7. Jiri Tlusty has proved his worth in gold this season. In 74 games, Tlusty boasts 17 goals and 19 assists. He also had two impressive point streaks, one spanning over 10 contests. It is hard to pick one Tlusty moment I loved the most, but I’m going to go with his soaring goal on January 20th.
6. Faulk’s OT game-winner on March 6th was just one of numerous exciting moments for the rookie. The team’s celebrations that followed still give me goosebumps. Faulk has made an impactful place on this team with 8 goals (including 5 power play and 2 game-winning goals) and 14 helpers over 61 games.
5. Jeff Skinner scoring a power play goal with 1:24 minutes remaining in the game against Buffalo on October 14th was more satisfying than cold sweet tea on a hot Carolina summer day. To take a win away from the Sabres trumps even the sweetest treats. I should also mention Cam Ward had 37 saves in that contest.
4. Caniacs will not soon forget a visibly frustrated Cam Ward on the Hurricanes bench earlier this season (I still cringe thinking about it.), but in true Wardo fashion, he came back to claim the franchise record with 21 shutouts on March 27th.
3. Coach Muller joined the Hurricanes’ organization as head coach in November and his presence was notable. Practices were more intense, team moral increased, and Eric Staal found his game. I don’t mean to take credit away from the captain, but the turnaround in his game seemed to be a bit coincidental. Plus, he is so darn loveable.
2. Eric Staal was barely recognizable to Caniacs in the beginning of the season. It was more than shaking summer rust…it was simply disappointing. After gaining only 2 points in 14 games during the months of October and November, Staal went on to claim a 12 game point streak. ‘Ello Captain! Here’s his breakaway goal on February 20th…his second of the evening.
1. Carolina may not make the playoffs, but sweeping the Stanley Cup Boston Bruins was a triumph of its own after an intense first meeting. How can anyone forget the rumble in Beantown on October 18th?
This was probably the hardest post I had to write all season. Every player, LaRose to Ruutu and Harrison to Pitkanen, had amazing displays of talents. It was so difficult to just pick just ten highlights. Share your favorite memories in the comment box!