During the 2010-11 Calder Cup playoffs, the Charlotte Checkers happily gained an offensively talented defenseman in Justin Faulk. Caniac Nation is proud to call the birthday boy their own as he turns a young 20 years old today. The beautifully winged American made an appearance at the 2012 All-Star Skills Competition, and it certainly won’t be the last.
The Carolina Hurricanes drafted Mr. Faulk in 2010 (2nd round, 37th overall) and signed him to a three-year contract on April 15, 2011. Prior to joining the North Carolina AHL team, #28 had a busy hockey career. As a sophomore for South St. Paul High School, he claimed 6 tallies and 15 helpers over 26 games in 2007-08. Faulk then moved to Ann Arbor to join the US National Development Team Program for the 2008-09 season. Over a span of 64 contests with the U-17 team, he had 12 goals and 21 assists. I should mention six of those goals were power play goals. During the 2009-10 season, Justin performed in 60 games with the U-18 squad and had 21 goals and 12 assists. Again, he thrived on the extra-man advantage with 14 power play goals.
The 2010-11 season would be a memorable one for the Minnesota native as he won the national championship as a freshman with the University of Minnesota-Duluth. He led all NCAA rookie defensemen in scoring, and set a school record for scoring by a Bulldog rookie defenseman.
This year, the birthday boy has 19 points (8g,11a), 29 penalty minutes, 5 power play goals, and 2 game-winners over 57 contests. Can a guy get a “Woo!” Thank you very much.
I can’t say enough about Justin Faulk, from his smiles at practice to his mature level of play, he is more than welcome in Carolina for years to come. Now on to the glorious bogus gifts! So, I decided to mixed things up this time by opening up the gift giving to Twitter. Here were their responses…
- @CaniacCaz would like to give him a Ken Doll Justin Faulk, because his hair is just too good for a bobble head.
- @CaniacLady17 says, “I’d like to give Justin his first play-off run with the Hurricanes that results in lifting the Stanley Cup in June 2012!”
- A personal hair expert to keep the flow looking beautiful at all times was given by @KCracken.
- @GEDavis227 graciously gifted Faulk with a shiny, new vehicle of his choice and a beautiful home in Raleigh.
- @Caniac53 would like to give him a motorcycle with a side car, because the ladies see him in that and be like, “Yo, lemme get a ride in your sidecar!”
- @StevenMadsen11 tweeted, “I’ll buy him a beer. Oh wait.”
- Just a nice message from @sloobs22, “Happy bday Faulker! My favorite Hurricane this year for sure, amazing skill for a 19 year old, have a lot of great years.”
- @DeWaltGrl says, “My gift to him is the gift of an invisibility cloak for beer bottles.”
Nice job you crazy Caniacs! I don’t think I can outdo you after those presents, but you know with every birthday tribute I like to give a rescue puppy with a full-time (hot) nanny and trainer, a million dollars to his favorite charity, and the most blissful career inundated with health and friendship.
Happy Birthday Justin! Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to Carolina hockey.