It is very fitting Canes’ adored alternate captain, Brandon Sutter, be born on Valentine’s Day. What is there not to love about the 23-year-old? He is an immensely talented center that continues to grow into an imperative role with the Carolina Hurricanes. Not to mention he is so darn cute. Sorry boys, it’s the day of love, be prepared for some gushing.
The 6’3”, 183 lbs former Red Deer Rebel was drafted 1st Round, 11th overall by the Hurricanes in 2007. He was born on this day in 1985 in Huntington, NY, although his hometown is considered Red Deer, Alberta.
In October 2010, Brandon made his NHL debut against Florida and had a helper on the game winning tally. His first goal came on the 23rd of October against Pittsburgh. Sutter has played in a number of esteemed competitions. He was a member of Team Pacific that won a silver medal at the 2006 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. #16 aided Team Canada at the 2006 Junior World Cup in clinching the gold medal. He also won a gold medal with Canada during the 2008 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Brandon signed a 3-year contract with the Canes on July 12, 2011. Sutter has performed in 57 games this season and has earned 12 goals and 10 assists, including 2 power play and 3 short-handed goals. The very least Cardiac Cane can do is shower him with some fabulous fake gifts:
- An entire year of interviews where no one asks him questions about being a Sutter
- A day to hang out with his favorite actor, Will Ferrell
- A million dollar donation toward his annual Sutter Fund Charity Classic to benefit minor hockey
- Backstage passes for him and his buddies to an Eric Church concert
- A private chef from his favorite restaurant, Nina’s Italian Ristorante, to cook him delicious daily meals
- Lastly, a long, healthy career filled with success and happiness
Happy Birthday Mr. Sutter! Be sure to follow @CardiacCaneFS on Twitter as I’ll be posting some great highlight clips all day in Brandon’s honor.