In 2001, the Carolina Hurricanes drafted center Mike Zigomanis (2nd round, 46th overall). The Toronto native was born on this day in 1981 and played in 57 contests with the Canes, and once a Cane, always a Cane according to dedicated Caniacs (if we liked you). The decorated forward boasts an OHL William Hanley Trophy (Most Gentlemanly Player) from 2000, a bronze medal from his efforts with Team Canada in the 2001 World Juniors, and the 2009 Stanley Cup Championship with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Zigomanis is currently on a one-year, two-way contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Last season, #93 led the Toronto Marlies with 47 points (14g, 33a) in 64 games. His success has continued this year with the Marlies, boasting 8 goals and 28 helpers over 38 games.
The Marlies trail our Charlotte Checkers by a point in the AHL Western Conference standings. So, Caniacs may still respect Ziggy, but Let’s Go Checkers! Sorry Mike!
It wouldn’t be Icing on the Cake without Cardiac Cane’s famous imaginary gifts, so here’s some gifts we would like to bestow on Mr. Z…
- Ownership of a vegan restaurant in Toronto with award winning chefs, including Chef Gordan Ramsay to manage the business.
- During my earlier interview with Mike, he mentioned he lacks the pipes (of the vocal variety) to match his guitar playing talents, so let’s exchange his singing voice for that of Mr. Steve Perry.
- So he can fulfill his New Year’s Resolution of spending more time with his family, I grant him a time machine to pause his busy hockey schedule.
- Let’s give him a housekeeper that resembles a Victoria Secret model.
- Most importantly, I give the gift of flawless health, idyllic play, and heavenly happiness.