Justin Shugg was born December 24, 1991 in Niagara Falls, ON. The 20-year-old was recently drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the fourth round (105th overall) in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Shugg was later signed to a three-year, entry-level contract on June 17, 2011.The birthday boy played four seasons for the OHL and collected 101 goals and 114 assists in 262 games. He spent his 2007-08 rookie season with the Oshawa Generals and Windsor Spitfires. Shugg remained with Windsor until joining the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors for the 2010-2011 season. This talented winger racked some seriously impressive statistics in the OHL:
St. Michaels Majors
Justin began the 2011-12 season with the Florida Everblades of the ECHL before joining the Charlotte Checkers (AHL) on December 13th. The 5’11” forward earned 4 goals and 7 assists in 7 games in Florida. Currently Shugg has 1 goal and 3 helpers with Charlotte over 13 contests.
Shugg represented Carolina well in the Traverse City prospect tournament beating the NY Rangers 4-3 in overtime thanks to his breakaway goal. Caniacs are thrilled to have this gifted player in the Hurricanes’ family.
You know the drill fans, every player in Raleigh and Charlotte receives an Icing on the Cake birthday tribute and thoughtful, yet bogus, gifts from Cardiac Cane. This was a tough one for me as I have yet to meet Mr. Shugg and dig for birthday present ideas. So, I gave it my best…
- No ugly sweaters from Grandma this holiday season.
- He has one of those tough birth dates, the day before Christmas. You just know people combine gifts, and then he has to go all year without ripping through some wrapping paper. So, how about I wave my magic wand and grant him a summer birthday to break things up a bit.
- A day to spend with his favorite musician and VIP passes backstage to their show.
- Flights and stay for him and friends to a resort of his choice for a two week vacation.
- A $10,000 donation to the charity of his choosing….ah heck, this is fake anyway…a million dollars (insert Dr. Evil impersonation here).
- Last, and most importantly, a successful season of health, laughs, and joyful memories.
Happy Birthday Justin Shugg! Cardiac Cane will be posting some great highlight clips on Twitter today in honor of your birthday.
Chris Murray will be our next Icing on the Cake recipient on December 26th. Stay tuned!