I hope everyone out in Caniac country is having a great Thanksgiving Day! Normally the day after a game I would be writing an extensive recap. But since it is Thanksgiving (and I am sort of busy, and frankly, tired) I give you a recap with fantastic pictures from our own Renee Kalicicki.
The Hurricanes fell to the Montreal Canadiens 4-3 in a shootout last night. We could mull over the details of what went wrong but in the spirit of giving thanks, let’s talk about things to be thankful for.
- I am thankful we picked up a point in the contest. We don’t have a game winning streak but we have picked up points in the last three games.
- I am thankful that thirty-four seconds into the first period Carey Price leaned back to cover the puck but accidentally helped Jiri Tlusty’s shot go over the line.
- I am thankful Jiri took the shot and grabbed his third goal for the season. He also added to his assists last night bringing him up to five.
- I am thankful that I got to see my favorite player last night, Erik Cole, even if he was wearing the wrong sweater. (No I didn’t root for him people.)
- I am also thankful that #72/white was not able to work his magic to get a game-winning goal. He almost did it a couple of times.
- I am thankful for Brett Sutter who had the right mind to scoop a puck out from on TOP of the net to get it to Anthony Stewart who potted the goal.
- I am thankful for Brandon Sutter for another goal on the score sheet.
- I am thankful for the Sutter family for giving the world such sturdy hockey player stock.
- I am thankful for the hustle of Patrick Dwyer who is coming into his own this season. He earned another helper on the aforementioned Brandon Sutter goal.
- I am thankful for the blueline play of Justin Faulk who logged over twenty-six minutes on the ice night. Twenty-six. Wow.
- I am thankful that Jay Harrison is showing Faulk the ropes. He had over twenty-nine minutes himself. Those are Pitkanen minutes!
- I am thankful for the addition of the hard working Tim Brent to the team and for his helper on the Anthony Stewart goal.
- I am thankful that we have such a great AHL team, the Charlotte Checkers. When we need a call up, there are plenty of great names to choose from.
Don’t get me wrong. I am certainly disappointed that our team took a step back dropping a contest last night bringing us to 5-2-2 at home. But I am so thankful that I have an NHL team playing in my backyard. Only having to drive eight miles to get to a hockey game is pretty much heaven on earth. And having a forum in which to tell the world about hockey? Yes. I am thankful for being a part of Cardiac Cane and we thank you for spending part of your day reading our thoughts. I don’t love losing but I love the Hurricanes and the pride, passion and community they bring to Carolina. Happy Thanksgiving and Let’s Go Canes!
For more photos from the game mosey on over here.