Matthew “Pistol” Pistilli was born on this day, October 17th, in 1988. The right winger turns 23 today (for those number-challenged). Mr. Pistilli was born in Montreal, but became a southern boy when he was signed to a 3 year entry level contract on May 20, 2009 by the Carolina Hurricanes.
Before joining the Canes family, he played five seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL). Pistilli performed in a 259 contests and earned 120 goals and 145 assists. Again, for those who are enemies with the digits, that equals 265 total points in 259 games. He was also the recipient of the 2008-09 CHL and QMJHL Humanitarian of the Year award.
In the 2009-10 season, Matt split his time between the Albany River Rats and the Florida Everblades. His first professional goal came against Springfield on October 30th. He also battled in 8 Kelly Cup playoff games for Florida and secured 3 goals and 6 helpers.
Relocating to Charlotte for the 2010-11 season, Pistol completed 50 games for the Checkers (8g, 11a) while also playing 27 contests for the Everblades (15g, 16a). Matt is already off to an impressive start as a Checker this year with an assist and 7th round shootout goal to defeat Peoria on Saturday. I’m pretty sure I woke up the neighbors a mile away with my Pistol cheers and chants that night.
Every birthday tribute on Cardiac Cane ends with gifts. Unfortunately, they are not real as I am neither a millionaire nor a magician. They say it’s the thought that counts, right?
I think I did well with these presents (unlike Boychuk’s…sorry about that Chuk). I was extra motivated to do so as I had the pleasure of meeting the birthday boy at the Skate with the Checkers event. I’m pleased to announce he was very cool and kind. He even thanked me for the support, which means a lot considering I (and my fellow Road Trippers) drive from Raleigh to see our guys play on a regular basis. So, I wish they were real, but here you go big guy…
- Libretto’s delivered hot and fresh anytime, anywhere for the rest of the season.
- The ultimate NFL tailgating experience to the 2012 Super Bowl championship complete with full set up (grill, games, snacks, music, drinks, etc…) and personal cheerleaders to make sure your drink stays cold and your belly stays full.
- A rescue German Sheppard puppy and a full time nanny to train and dogsit while you are on the road.
- A personal lockerroom DJ that plays all your musical favorites
- As always, a blessed season full of laughs, health, and happy memories. Happy Birthday Pistol! (Or…Buon Compleanno a Pistilli!…from one Italian to another!)