Canes Corner is a live radio show hosted by Mike Maniscalco of 99.9 FM The Fan ESPN Radio at Backyard Bistro next to the RBC Center. Cam Ward kicked off the Canes Corner season Wednesday night. Ward, along with Staal, Gleason, Ruutu, LaRose, Ponikarovsky, and Pitkanen, stayed in Raleigh while the rest of the team traveled to Winnipeg to play the Jets in their fourth preseason game.
The well-decorated goalie was greeted with a hurricane siren and caniac cheers. Maniscalco quizzed Ward on everything from his off-season to parenthood. The Stanley Cup winner admitted he rather take a slap shot in the point from Zdeno Chara than solely manage diaper duty for a month.
- He would be a professional golfer if not a goalie.
- Atlanta had the hardest barn to play in because it was dark. Clearly, no longer a problem.
- A player he would want on his team would be Martin St. Louis.
- If he wants to stay up and get a lot of laughs on a plane trip he would sit next to Chad LaRose. However, if he wanted to catch some sleep on a trip, he would park next to Tim Gleason.
- There is a picture of him raising the Stanley Cup in his home.
- The player in his crease he would most like Tim Gleason to smash into the boards would be Sean Avery, because “He’s a
given, an easy target.”
- When asked who does the best Coach Mo impersonation, he said, “Gotta be Chad LaRose, he’s not afraid.”
- “It adds to our team,” having Boucher back him up in the crease. He also said, “There won’t be one game I won’t want to be a part of.”
- He admitted the teammate most likely to pick up the check on the road is Eric Staal after some hesitation.
There were many more highlights, including a mention of Jeff Skinner starting to chirp back when getting harassed by the team that I enjoyed. The highlight of the night for me was meeting the tendy. He was a great sport and signed my “contract” stating I was the coolest caniac to grace the RBC Center.
Many thanks to the Backyard Bistro, Mike and 99.9 FM The Fan, and The Canes for putting on such a memorable night. I pray Cam Ward has a safe and successful season!
Let’s Go Canes!