Casey Borer. Where do I begin? Shall I start with an somewhat elaborate, slightly fabricated story?
Once upon a time, in a far away North Carolina land, a Carolina Hurricanes gal met a Checkers’ defenseman. She had heard rumors of the 6’2″, 205 lbs Minnesota native. Most tales were spun by peer Bobby Goepfert and included adjectives like Wild Borer, carnivore, and hunter. Combine those statements with on-ice confirmations and it made for one nightmare ridden, vegan, Caniac. However, a brief meeting was held with the big guy in Charlotte without bloodshed or angst and the Caniac questioned the vicious stories. Besides a slightly suspicious comment on her non-hunting beagles, Borer actually diffused his fire-breathing persona.
I love a happy ending, don’t you?
So, I am happy to present my birthday toast to one and only, Casey Borer…
Born July 28, 1985, Casey was raised in Brooklyn Park. Borer represented the United States at the 2003 Under-18 World Junior Championship and the 2005 World Junior Championship. He played collegiate hockey with well-known St. Cloud State University. #28 acted as team captain for two consecutive seasons at St. Cloud.
He was drafted in the 3rd round, 69th overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft by the Carolina Hurricanes. His had an assist and scored his first NHL goal for his first NHL multi-point game with Atlanta on January 4th, 2008. On December 6, 2009, against the Flyers, he blocked three shots in about thirteen minutes of ice time.
In 2009-10, Borer was awarded the AHL’s Fred T. Hunt Award, as the player who best exemplifies the qualities of sportsmanship, determination, and dedication to hockey. Carolina has been proud to host this player and definitely deserves some (fictitious) gifts. So, in the tradition of Icing on the Cake, may I present Borer’s birthday presents:
- A rescue white Labrador to keep his feet warm at night, but will just lick his butt for hours if he tries to take him hunting.
- Immunity from further season-ending injuries. I feel badass for even pretending to grant that one.
- His snoring problem is no more. This is more of a gift to his roommates. You’re welcome.
- Instant diarrhea every time he goes hunting and acid reflux each time he eats meat. I fear these gifts have taken a selfish turn.
- How about this…a two week vacation to anywhere he like and he can even bring along with BBF, Bobby Goepfert.
- Cloak of invisibility should he ever want to avoid knee dropping girls at the rink.
- I’ve pimped out a lot of kitchens for the other birthday boys, so let’s give Casey a sick bathroom, complete with a huge shower with a steam function and multiple, pulsating showerheads. Hum, that took a weird turn. I was thinking for therapeutic reasons. Nevermind.
Mostly importantly, a blessed year of success and health. Happy Birthday big guy. Here’s some video for the fans:
A special video from his pal…
*To view other birthday posts, click the Icing on the Cake tab below the headline.
**Information via nhl.com and ahl.com