As a sincere fan, how can you celebrate a player’s success without celebrating their birthday? You can click on the ‘Icing on the Cake’ tag above and see I get serious about the days of birth. If you made it another year in this crazy world, then my hats off to you.
Today my hat tips to Charlotte Checkers’ Jacob MicFlikier. The winger was born today in 1984 in Winnipeg, MB. This University of New Hampshire graduate boasts some impressive statistics. He ranks 24th in all-time scoring, including four career hat tricks, at UNH. Fliks was crowned Most Valuable Player his junior year and led the program in scoring with 42 points (16g, 26a).
In addition to representing the Canes’ cousins, Charlotte Checkers, he also played for the Florida Everblades. During the 2009-10 season the forward racked an impressive 32 points in 16 games. Jacob was selected to play in the 2010 ECHL All-Star Game.
Although, Charlotte fans are likely most grateful for his work last season. In 78 contests, the forward offered 29 goals, 32 assists, 80 PIM and a plus- 15 rating. His efforts indubitably helped his team reach the Eastern Conference Finals.
After honoring the birthday boy, it is tradition for me to whip out (wait for it) my supernatural powers and grant some magical (yet very fictitious) gifts. Mr. MicFliks is certainly deserving of some killer presents.
- With a birthday like 7-11, it seems only right to snag him an authentic, old school 7-11 store sign. Bet it would look pretty classy in his bedroom. Open 24-7 like a 7-11…nevermind.
- Since Fliks and hat tricks (check out below video) go together like Murph and MJ, I will bestow him a record five hat tricks in 2011-12.
- Since Labrador Retrievers are his favorite breed of dog, I will donate $500,000 North Carolina Lab rescues. (In reality I will donate $25 and you should to at labrescuenc.org)
- Supposedly steak is his favorite food, as a vegan I am not cool with steak of the month presents, so how about a year supply of potatoes to go with the slab of meat?
- Nix Burger & Brew is rumored to be a restaurant favorite with this athlete, so I decided to wave my wand and transform the adjacent apartment into his own private Nix. Complete with gorgeous cook/server, of course. Hopefully she makes a lot of veggie burgers.
All and all, not a bad birthday. I will be gift exhausted after this month as two more Checkmen are celebrating their world debuts, Michal Jordan and Casey Borer. Until then, Caniacs wish Jacob MicFlikier and his family a blessed and safe year.
Let’s Go Checkers!
*Information via ahl.com*