Oh Ruu, how your Caniacs adore you. This gritty center ended the 2010-11 season with 19 goals and 39 assists. The hard-hitting, glass-shattering forward came to the Carolina Hurricanes late February 2008. He was originally drafted by Chicago in 2001 in the first round, ninth overall.
Of course, I have to mention our Feature Friday star plays on the Line of Destruction with Skinner. Skinny and SuperRuu shared some beautiful battles last season. This was one of my favorite recaps from their unit.
Ruutu had an eventful start to the off-season. His Finland team won gold in the 2011 Men’s World Ice Hockey Championships.
Let’s have some fun with the number 15 in Tuomu’s honor…
- Made his NHL playoff debut on April 15th
- I would love to report he had 15 points in his last 15 games to match his sweater number, but he falls short by three points. Although, he did have a matching 5 points in his last 5 games of the 2010-11 season.
- Only played 15 games in the 2005-06 season due to injuries.
- In his debut game with the Canes on February 26th, Ruutu only played for roughly 15 minutes. He was forced to leave the game in the final twenty with a facial injury that left him looking like a character straight out of the Nightmare Before Christmas.
- He missed 15games in the 2009-10 season, but return on his own bobblehead night to score an empty-netter on Florida.
- In 2002-3 he earned 15 helpers for HIFK Helsinki of the Finnish Elite League in 30 contests.
- In March of 2003-04 he was named the NHL’s Rookie of the Month for earning 8 goals and 8 assists in 15 games.
Tuomo Ruutu is a charismatic player and I hope he sports a Canes sweater for a very long time. Have a successful and blessed upcoming season Ruu!
Fantastic video made by SuperOvechkin88:
Crazy cheesy, but Ruutu’s smile is killer:
Facts from hurricanes.nhl.com/