A recipe of nerves, excitement, and sorrow are blended together to form an electric energy over hockey fans today, June 15, 2011. It is Game Seven. It is the last puck drop of the season. It is a historical showdown between two equally talented, determined teams.
The sorrow stems from the inevitable end. Zamboni’s will go into storage, dust will collect in the locker rooms, and wings will be cut (cringe). The majority of us have already said goodbye to the 2010-11 season. Playoffs, despite your team being excluded, at least kept a chill in the air and pucks on the brain.
Fans will either mourn or celebrate after the Stanley Cup is gifted upon the victorious team, but eventually we will all grieve. The sport of hockey spoils fans with 82 games a season. We should be satisfied with this plethora of play, but no. We are greedy and hungry for our team year round.
In an effort to ease your loss, here are some ways to keep busy over the next thirteen weeks.
- Form a summer hockey league with your fellow fans. It could be dek hockey, air hockey, field hockey…whatever. Meetup.com is a great way to find already existing groups in your area. Carolina Hockey Group and Carolina Hurricanes Tailgating Group are two active groups in the Triangle.
- Read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Ok, it has nothing to do with hockey but it is over 1,000 pages. It should keep you busy and entertained for a few days.
- Make a memory box or scrapbook of your 2010-11 memorabilia. Ticket stubs from your favorite games, posters, pictures you snapped with players, etc… Store the properly and think about your wish list for next season.
- When 7:00pm rolls around and you gravitate toward the TV for a puck drop that isn’t going to happen, put in one of the following movies: Mighty Ducks, Mystery Alaska, Youngblood, The Rocket, Miracle, Sudden Death, Slap Shot, Net Worth, Rhino Brothers, and for pucking giggles…Wayne’s World and Happy Gilmore. Game on!
- Go to Las Vegas for the NHL Awards and Draft June 22-25th. Perhaps a wish list item.
- Write a guest blog on some of your favorite memories from the previous season. Submissions welcome at Cardiac Cane!
- Play Words with Friends and try to do all words related to hockey.
- Finally, just drink. I mean really, cloak yourself in a haze of intoxication and September will be here before you know it. I will deny this advice should you require AA in a couple months.